Re: Twin Turbo 318 Dakota

From: Jon Steiger (jon@dakota-truck.net)
Date: Mon Jan 08 2001 - 22:30:57 EST

NVMYDakota@aol.com wrote in <60.a836daf.278bd534@aol.com>:

>Now heres my question:
> On both GM and Ford Desiels, there is only a single turbo, could
> somthing
>like this be adapted to a 318/360, the whole twin turbo, while sounds
>cool, sounds like a bigger pain than it might be worth...
>
> Greg

  Depends...

  Granted, I'm only speaking from a "research" standpoint here as opposed to a
"school of hard knocks" viewpoint, but it seems to me that a single turbo can
easily become a bigger pain than a twin setup. True, with twins there is twice
the expense and you need to plumb two turbos, but with a single turbo on a V
motor (Vtwin/4/6/8/12/etc.), you need to run a crossover pipe to the other bank
of cylinders. That doesn't seem like a whole lot of fun. :-( I'll bet those
diesels you mentioned are inline 6's; that's no sweat with a single turbo; only
one exhaust bank to worry about. Plus, with the twins, you can use a smaller
turbo which can result in better throttle response and less lag.

   As far as adapting one of those turbos, it depends... No doubt you will get
some gain by slapping one on, but to really do it right, you need to do your
homework and choose a turbo which will be matched to the engine size, rpm, and
HP you're working with. (Its possible they would be a perfect match, but
you've got to look at the compressor maps to be sure.) Turbo manufacturers
spend a lot of time with different housings, A/R ratios, trim levels, etc. to
match a turbo exactly to the application.

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ----- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@twistedbits.net ------. | Affiliations: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA; Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 | `------------------------------ http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ----'