3.9 lifter retention plates ?

From: Mike and Del (mikesdel@silk.net)
Date: Tue Jan 09 2001 - 15:42:47 EST

hello all. I'm working on a 94, 3.9. with 280,k on it. Both heads cracked
in two places, all between the valves. Over the years I've replaced, lifters
[rollers] rockers, pushing rods, but the ticking is still there. Did the cam
chain twice last one with tentioner. Replaced belt idler also. I hope the
dreaded ticking will stop with the rebuilt heads but would like to explore
all other possiblitys.
This ticking is a little odd though, it is louder on a cold morning
sometimes. It's louder under load but still heard with the engine floating
[no load] seems to cycle on off slightly during prolonged highway use at
70mph. thought it was a lifter untill changed parts.
 Now I find myself staring at the lifter retainer plates and the springy
sheet metal thingy that holds them down. These plates are numbered 1,2,3. no
left or right , there are 6 of them natch.
two seem shinny in the area where the lifter would ride on them. these odd
little plates are able to move front to back 1/8"
nubbish bumps conntact the springy clamps arms which apply 15 lb.s or so of
clamping when bolted to block in lifter vally.
is it likely or possible that the ......ticking is one of these plates
hopping around? And is any of this hardware replaced on a usual basis?
Thanks M. Ryder