RE: Camshaft

From: Wisotzkey, Rich (Rich.Wisotzkey@gd-wts.com)
Date: Thu Jan 11 2001 - 10:07:25 EST

Pete,
If you'd like to change cams, and want something specifically designed for
the magnum engine, consider this. Hughes Engines works specifically with
Mopar engines, and designs performance parts to fit our needs.

If you are running a stock to mildly modified engine, here is an excellent
cam for you. I have a Hughes HER0612AL roller cam with just barely over
2000mi. on it. It is designed to work across a wide rpm range (approx.
1500-6000) I don't know how much torque you'll gain, but I do know from
comparision to an identically set-up DAK (without the cam), it will net you
a solid 20hp. It pulls VERY nicely across the entire power-band.

Why would I want to sell it? I just found out that since changing to an M1
intake, I now have a mis-matched intake and cam combination. My torque
curve has a dip in it due to this mis-match. The cam is designed to work
best with either a stock, or modified stock intake manifold. I will (if you
like) send a copy of my dyno sheet so you can see just how hard this cam
pulls. (Guess I should also note at this point that the pulls were taken
with a 3.55 rear and 29" diameter tires. Stock diameter is 27".)

Hughes sells their cams for $325 straight out, or $187.50 with a core
exchange. This cam is virtually new with only 2000mi on it, but I'll make
you (or any DML'er) an excellent deal. How about $260 straight out, or $150
with your stock cam. That's 20% off the new prices. Let me know if you're
interested. Oh yes, I almost forgot. Here are the specs.

Hughes HER0612AL Intake Exhaust
      Valve lift w/1.6:1 lifters: .511" .511"

    Duration at .200 tappet lift: 125º 129º
    Duration at .050 tappet lift: 207º 213º

Advertized duration at .050 lift: 255º 261º

                 Lobe separation: 112º

Rich - Ashburn, VA