Re: AutoX Day 2

From: Steven T. Ekstrand (cyberlaw@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Jan 16 2001 - 00:28:27 EST

Wow Jay! I can't believe you got within 5 seconds of the Bronco. Carlos
Mejia is very very good and is Bronco is purpose built. Dropped, body
drop, chopped. The thing has the center of gravity of a vette!!! And he
has fresh massive Race tires on it now. If only he had more horsepower it
would be scary.

I ran the Intrepid in HS. I was the dew sweeper. Second car on course.
I think things ran slower in reverse which surprised me as I thought when I
walked it that it might run faster. I ran 62 on Saturday clean. That time
would have been a miracle on Sunday! In the Intrepid I ran 67.7 clean,
68.8 clean and way out of shape, and finally 67.2 clean. It was a fairly
wide course so coneage was light. But all that room also gave you a chance
to waste time. They made great use of the rise on the course. That was
fun. In the only other time I've ever run the Intrepid I also ran the
truck. I was four seconds faster in the truck, but I had the benefit of
learning the course in the Intrepid first. Just as you got fast in your
fun run. I always figured my truck is a little more than 2 seconds faster
than the Intrepid. I was figuring I would have been in the 65 zone.
Remember I did run that nearly same course 14 times on Saturday (only
backwards!!!). You're killing me to find out I might have been knocking on
Carlos back bumper in Sport Truck class!!! I think I'm driving pretty
decent now. I hit a plateau the end of last year and now I think I've
taken up a notch. You'll experience these big steps in the learning curve.
At first its all a big blur then with seat time you start to get such a
vivid memory of the course that you can just about count the cones.

Stacey ran 72, 72, 70 all clean in the Intrepid. We finished 2nd and 3rd
out of about 7 HS cars in attendence. That damn Focus ZX3 with veteran
shoe Bob Jardine driving ran a mid 65. Disgusting what talent will do in
most any vehicle. Be careful with those damn ZX3's 130hp and a 5-speed.
215-50-16 tires available in 2001!

-Steve Ekstrand
http://sites.netscape.net/professormopar/homepage