Some thoughts on TB mods (long)

From: Bruce Bridges (bbridges@flometrics.com)
Date: Wed Jan 17 2001 - 12:15:12 EST

Hey all,
Bernd is right on! Dont go near the plates and bores around the plates and
you will be much better off. You need to keep the amount of air going in
the TB at idle the same, which means the plates have to mate with the bores
the same way (they dont touch, but they are close). The riodges that you
want to remove are there to linearize the response of the butterfly valve.
A linear response is much easier to use for programming, and will give a
smoother off idle performance. The first 15 degrees of rotation of a
butterfly valve provide the largest amount of airflow rate change. The
ridges shroud the first 10 or so degrees of rotation, blocking the flow and
reducing the flow rate increase per degree rotated. In theory, it shouldnt
block flow at WOT, but thats theory...Its hard to machine a really effective
venturi in that short a space. Sooo... remove the ridges and you will get a
larger air flow rate at WOT (+25% more or less) and a much faster off idle
response. Make sure to radius the inlet of the bores as much as possible!
Removing some of the shaft diameter by flattening it with a grinder is good,
but leave the teflon coating on it at the central bushing/bearing. Try
painting it with a thin layer of a good etching primer to keep it from
rusting. Make sure you block off the bearing bores to keep stuff from
getting in the bearings during the whoel procedure. Also, its not the
surface finish that gets the flow rate. As long as there are no "chunks"
(+.008" high = chunk) the flow rate should not improve very much with mirror
like polishing. Looks nice though...
Bruce