Re:Soft Tonneau Cover Retro-fit to lifting

From: Gensch, Travis (Travis.Gensch@qtiworld.com)
Date: Thu Jan 18 2001 - 13:58:42 EST

That was probably me. I think I said one could be done, but never gave any
directions. I purchased my tonneau cover as a lifting style cover.
However, I think that if someone was wanted to, they could make a lift style
cover from a standard cover.

My cover basically has the frame cut about a foot back from the front. The
front half is held down by normal clamps. The back half of the cover is
only held down by a locking mechanism. The place where the frame is cut has
a metal pin, which can be removed to lift off the cover, for the hinge. The
pin goes into two pieces of metal that stick out from the frame and mate
together. This way when the cover is removed, it can easily be placed back
on without having to re-align it since the front is held in place. The back
of the cover is held down by metal latches on each side to the bed rail,
which allows latching/unlatching with the turn of one handle. It also has
gas shocks in the back to hold up the cover.

It's kind of hard to explain, but is pretty slick. I can take the cover on
and off in less than a minute by myself. This is only one style of cover.
There are several different types out there. Before I bought my cover, I
looked around on the internet and saw several different styles. So, I would
first look around there and get ideas. I could get access to a digital
camera, or a normal camera, and could take pictures for you.

Let me know if you have questions. It would be best to contact me directly
if you want more info. I am subscribed to the digest version and can easily
miss things. Especially when I sometimes don't look at all the digest
messages after a weekend away.

Travis