Re: Intros and a question

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Thu Jan 18 2001 - 18:03:28 EST

At 07:11 PM 1/17/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Just joined the list a couple of days ago. My name is Steve Owens, and I
>just picked up my 2001 Dakota CC 4X4 on Saturday. I love this truck!
> <snip>
>I also have an initial question: The truck has the 4.7, and I noticed the
>other day that, when the truck gets warm, the oil pressure drops from 3/4
>scale on the guage to 1/2 at idle. When the truck gets rolling, the pressure
>goes back up to 3/4. It never goes below 1/2 scale reguardless of how long
>it sits idle. I talked to a Dodge service guy I trust, and he says this is
>normal,
>though he's never seen it go to 1/2 scale. Has anyone else seen this behavior?

Welcome to the list and congrats on the new Dak, Steve.

The oil pressure dropping at idle when warmed up is normal. I noticed it
as well
and my son said that it's computer-controlled. I'm not sure if the reason
is to
reduce wear and tear (oil pump) or to control emissions (lessen blow-by gases)
at warn idle since high oil pressure isn't needed at warm idle for engine
operation.

Bob Tom Burlington, Ont., Canada
'97 CC Dakota, 5.2L, 4x2, auto., 3.92SG, 4,265 lb (racing weight)
Dyno: 231.2 rwhp 340.0 lb-ft rwtorque
PB: 14.737 @ 91.75 9.364 @ 72.95