Re: Couple of questions

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Sun Jan 21 2001 - 18:20:49 EST

At 03:13 PM 1/21/01 -0500, you wrote:
>I've just connected to this list and already have a couple of questions.
>I just bought a '91 5.2 liter Dodge Dakota 4X4 extended cab truck at a local
>dealership. <snip>
>Second question. The upper left hand device driven by "fan belt", I would call
>it a smog pump, is making noise. What is the real name for this part <snip>

Welcome to the list. I don't have a '91 but can try to make some guesses.
My guess is that it's an air pump.

>Third question..... the maintenance required light is on 117,000 miles on
>it),
>what does this mean and can I fix it myself. sure the owners manual would
>have
>this info. but the truck didn't come with one.

The Maintenance Required Light was probably triggered when the truck passed
100,000 mi. to remind the owner to have the emission system serviced. You'd
have to find a garage who has a scanner and the Chrysler software capable of
removing the code from the computer's memory.

>Fourth and final question is this. The speedometer has just started making
>noise and jumping. The odometer seems to be working fine. I'm assuming
>that the speedometer is going out. Anyone have a good point of contact for
>replacement for that? <snip>

If you're lucky that the speedometer is off a cable, maybe it's just the
speedometer
cable that is binding up (dirt/rust/etc.).

I would suggest that you try to get a hold of a Factory Service manual for
your truck.
Maybe someone on the list can has the U.S.address handy.

  Good luck.

Bob Tom Burlington, Ont., Canada
'97 Dakota Sport, 4x2, CC, Flame red, 5.2L, auto., 3.92SG