Re: Couple of questions

From: loose wheels (1991dak@team.camaroZ28.com)
Date: Sun Jan 21 2001 - 23:20:34 EST

Welcome to the DML and the wonderful world of Pre-Mags their are a lot of similarities between the 91's and the Magnums. First the "front spoiler" thing with the fact that the body is "practically" the same from the model years 91'-96' that particular peice should be too hard to find, I would suggest to call aroud the local parts yards and to the dodge/chrysler dealers to determine which route you would rather take. Personally I would try to steal one off a 96' at your local parts yard. Secondly, I believe Bob would be correct that should be the Air Pump that you are talking about personally if you are planning on keeping the truck very long I would suggest getting a new or re-manufactured pump for which it is entirely possible that it may be the cause behind you Maintenance Required Light. If you haven't checked the Check Engine (C.E.)Codes I would suggest to do that also. More than likely the C.E. codes will tell you what the problem is that caused the Maintenance Required (!
Maint.Reqd.) light to be triggered. On the other hand after buying my dak with 113,000 miles on it I had the Maint.Reqd. light come on the was caused by a combination of the EGR valve, MAP sensor, o2 sensor and vacuum hole blockage in the Throttle Body. The Maint.Reqd. light comes on any time that there is a problem in the Emmisions controls which is why if you buy a maintenace manual of any type the will usually refer to it as the Emissions Maintenance Required/Reminder Light. Once again as Bob said you will have to go to shop that has a DRB scan tool or equivilant to have it removed. And yet once again as Bob said the speedo. problem is pobably do to something external like dirt,rust etc. causing that. And lastly, I will also say that the FSM from the dealer is the best bet as far service manuals go. The Haynes, Chlitons etc. are to confusing do to the fact that the usually cover multiple years and there is a lot information that is misleading. Believe me I own both the Hayn!
es and the Chilton's. Once again welcome to the list, and!
  hope th
is will help.

Wes
91' CC 4x4 318
130,000 miles

--- SulichJr@aol.com
> wrote:
>I've just connected to this list and already have a couple of questions. I just bought a '91 5.2 liter Dodge Dakota 4X4 extended cab truck at a local dealership. So far so good. Transmission cooling lines were leaking badly(tightened to fix), and fixed some other little problems too. I would like to replace the "front spoiler" because the one on the truck is cracked off on one end. Anyone have a good point of contact for a replacement? I just moved to this area and haven't found a salvage yard yet so I haven't tried that route yet. Second question. The upper left hand device driven by the "fan belt", I would call it a smog pump, is making noise. What is the real name for this part and does anyone have any idea what the part would cost to replace. Third question..... the maintenance required light is on (truck has 117,000 miles on it), what does this mean and can I fix it myself. I'm sure the owners manual would have this info. but the truck didn't come with one. Fourth and fi!
nal question is this. The speedometer has just started making noise and jumping. The odometer seems to be working fine. I'm assuming that the speedometer is going out. Anyone have a good point of contact for a replacement for that? I didn't pay that much for this truck and it seems to run really well, so I'd like to fix these few things and see if the truck will last me a couple of years. The body is a little dinged but the paint is good and no rust. The engine and trans seem good despite the 117,000 miles.

Free E-mail by CamaroZ28.Com - FULL THROTTLE INTERNET