Re: Alternators revisited

From: ABeerCan@aol.com
Date: Tue Jan 23 2001 - 00:25:12 EST

<<<To me, there isnt any reason to buy the smallest amped alternator, other
than if it will make installation alot easier. Amazing that the highest amp
alternator is $54 cheaper than the 75amp unit, isnt it? Both Pep Boys and
Autozone alternators carry a lifetime warranty. I have brought this up
before, and just want to make sure than the 90A or 120A alternator will 100%
fit where my stock 75A unit is currently at. Also, will the electrical
hookup(s) be the same? I havent really looked at my truck's alternator
connections very well. What connections, electrically, are back there to
power it?? Can anyone please verify if going up to a 90A or a 120A
alternator would be a 100% bolt on, painless, bolt on?? Thanks......just
hope my battery doesnt die on me in the meantime!
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6>>>

Kyle, I did the same idea on my 96 Dak. I had the stock 75 am punit crap out on me at an autosound comp. Sucked! And yes, the 120 will fit and it will charge just like the others, same voltage but a rock steady voltage. Take the old alt in with you and just to show you that it will fit, measure the distance between the mounting holes. You will notice the casing for the 120 is much larger than the casing for the 75 amp. But, if you look at the mounting arms, the length is different. The arms on the 120 are shorter to compensate for the larger case of the 120. So, you end up with a larger case and shorter arms that equal out to the smaller case with longer mounting arms. The first thing you will notice when you use the new alt, at night, your voltage will not move. Before, if I was at a red light, low beams on, stereo cranked, I would drop down to 11.8 volts at times, and that is with one hell of a battery and two one farad stiffening caps. Now with the 120, at a red !
!
light, high beams on, stereo cra
nked, I stay at a rock solid 13.8 volts. The wire leading from the alt to the battery is a large 6 gauge, which is plenty big for the current it will transfer. Another upside to the bigger alt is if you jump someone off, it has no problems doing it! Oh yeah, I got mine from Discount Auto for 99 bucks! regular pirce too!! Depending on where you live, it might be cheaper for me to buy one for you and ship it to you. And they also come with a lifetime warranty. Find out what brand Pepboys carries. If it is made by World Wide Auto, buy it!!! They use heavy duty stators, oversize diodes, and wonderful looking field coils! E-mail me direct if you have anymore questions, I will be more than happy to tell you anything else I know about the alt swap.

Will
96 Paxton huffed NOS intercooled 408 Dakota
NEW!!!:89 Shelby Dakota