Re: Alternators Revisited

From: Matt Thar (henryrollins@springmail.com)
Date: Tue Jan 23 2001 - 00:18:09 EST

I am not sure on the fit I know that GM Alt are diffrent on amp output. I have the large amp unit in my 92 318 Dakota. I am willing to take some measurments if you need. Call the parts guys and see if they have both and get them to pull both of them and see the diffrence. Do not forget that you can spin the case to get diffrent setting. We had to spin alot of the GM alt to get the wire to come out on the top. There should not be any changes needed in the wiring.

Just my .02 but I would not buy Pep Boys reman stuff I have had nothing but bad luck with there stuff. Sure it has a liftime warranty, but how many times do you want to do the job. I have bought a Advance Auto parts alt. I had real good luck with them. My good freind buy's alot autozone stuff and he seems happy with them. I would suggest to stay away from Pep Boys.

Battery,
Interstate is the best then the rest fall in line. I know that some of the Delco battery's are OK depends on the size ( Size determends the builder ) Most other batterys are made by the same person just a diffrent name. Do not forget to give your ter. a good hard scrubing and put a lite coat of grease(Wheel bearing front end ETC..) on them. This is the best corrsion res. you can do. It will not wash off does burn off with heat. just a lite cost covering the whole term. will do.

Sorry for the abuse on the spelling but I have been at work for a long time and have a longer time to go

<hr width="75%" align="center" color="green">
Matt Tharp<p>
Atlanta GA <p>
ASE Master Tech.<p>
Automotive Prototype Test Tech<p>