Cleaned the TB

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Tue Jan 23 2001 - 23:27:26 EST

On my way home from work tonight I stopped at Napa and bought a TB gasket
and a bottle of 3M Throttle Body and Intake Cleaner($7 something for both
parts)....and decided to take the throttle body off and give it a good
cleaning. Thankfully, I also had a can at home of Gumout TB/Intake cleaner,
cause I ended up using both cans. The QuickD TB has been on my truck for
close to a year now, and wasnt kind of dirty. I typically just shoot some
Gumout TB/Intake cleaner down the TB bores, and obviously that wasnt enough.
The AIS sensor's(back of the TB) prong or tip was rather covered, but idle
quality wasnt poor at all. I removed the sensors, and cleaned everything
with Qtips, small pipe cleaners, shop towels, and even a small toohbrush.
The port where the AIS sensor's tip was rather dirty, and this took a good
deal of cleaning to get it looking all silver again. The bore blades werent
bad on the flat parts, but the edged which touch the bored had some buildup
on them, not a lot though. The bottom side of the throttle blades and around
the entire radius of the bores below the blades did need a good cleaning.
Before I bolted the TB down, I cleaned the surface and bore openings really
good with TB cleaner and shot a good amount down into the manifold. I am
probably going to pull and check out the Autolite Coppers, to see if they
are coated with buildup after this. I reset the puter beforehand and 'bled'
the computer, so I just bolted down the cleaned QuickD TB along with the new
gasket and reconnected the battery. It fired right up and idles very smooth
now. Took it out for a small 30 mile run on the highway and hopefully it
will keep running this well. I think now I am going to put on a new MAP
Sensor, cause the stock one was rather...........well let's just say it has
seen better days.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6