Re: K&N Alternative

From: bernd@texas.net
Date: Thu Jan 25 2001 - 14:46:38 EST

Not to downgrade the Akimoto Sports filter, but I have on sitting in my garage
that we did a smoke test on. The inverted "Velocity" tip did nothing but
restrict the flow. The K&N 6"x9" cone and the Akimoto both pulled air in from
the base (largest area) first. K&N has also stated (on numberous occasions)
that the inverted cone filters don't flow as well as the regular cones. This
confirmed our smoke test on the Akimoto Racing filter that I have.

I've had it for a little over two years and used it on my truck as well on the
old "Home-Brew" system. After replacing the Akimoto with the 6x9 cone, the
truck performed much better on the top end. Yes, I even tried this with the
current configuration (Powerdyne @ 9# Boost) and again, the K&N 6x9 cone
performed better.

Here's the fomula for CFM for the cone filters:

(((Largest Diameter + Smallest Diameter)/2) * Actual Length) * 18.84

(The 18.84 is PI*6)

That's my experience with these filters and my opinion.

- Bernd

> There are some alternative air intake kits available. All use the same K&N
cone filter
with rubber fittings. These will degrade and parts of them start to fall into
the intake.
 not good! I was not even aware of this problem until
> a couple of months ago.
>
> I am working with a company that makes an air cleaner. It is a cone style,
smaller in
outside dimensions, but with an inverted cone on the end. All stainless steel
mesh with
billet aluminum end ring and base. Very sweet. Flow is
> same as a large K&N cone filter. I will be working on the kits for all
Magnum engines in
the near future. Meantime, you could always get just the air filter itself.
BTW - the
aluminum is available in different colors too! I got
> the red one for the DACUDA!!!
>
> The website is www.racingsportsakimoto.com. Don't let the ricer name fool
you. Since I
will now be their national Sales Manager and work in product development and
promotion, I
will be personally involved with all of this work.
> Just like with my writing for Sport Truck, I really want to support the
Dakota/Ram/Durango
people.