Re: Still rattling in the '99 - Rattle, Rattle, Rattle

From: steve preston (steve239dak@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jan 25 2001 - 20:15:45 EST

YEAH!!!!!! I jiggled the transfer case shifter today
while driving and could not duplicate the sound.It
must be under the dash,or like you said,near the floor
somewhere.I`m going to have to have my wife put her
head below dash level (wouldn`t be the first
time!)while we`re going down the road.NO,THAT`S A
JOKE,PEOPLE! :>) GEE WHIZ,LIGHTEN UP!!!!! Little humor
for you there.Thank you. Steve P.
--- Andy Levy <andylevy@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> Steve, your rattle, does it seem to come from almost
> floor level, in the
> center of the truck under the dash? Kind of a
> metallic ticking or
> pinging (not engine ping) noise?
>
> steve preston wrote:
> >
> > My 99 RC has a rattle also,seems to be coming from
> > either under the dash or right against the
> firewall
> > behind the dash.Sounds metallic,like a tin
> can.It`s
> > been there for a long time.Must not be exhaust
> related
> > since they just replaced my cat,and the noise has
> not
> > changed in occurrence or pitch.Hard to tell
> exactly
> > whether the noise is under me or in front of me.Is
> > your noise metallic-sounding,or like vibrating
> plastic
> > parts? Steve P.
> > --- rsuter@bizfon.com wrote:
> > >

> > > I've still been unable to locate an annoying
> rattle
> > > in my '99 CC's dash. I
> > > purchased an automotive stethescope and have
> > > localized the rattle to the upper
> > > right area of the instrument cluster. I've
> removed
> > > the dash bezel, lower cover
> > > (under the steering column) and the instruments,
> but
> > > the rattle continues and I
> > > can't seem to track it down any closer to the
> > > source. It does not rattle all the
> > > time, just on medium size, fairly sharp flaws in
> the
> > > road. I must really be a
> > > sight driving with a stethescope in my ears! :-)
> > > And probably as bad as the
> > > cell phone drivers!
> > >
> > > I suspect the heating ducts or the "dash pad",
> but
> > > am leary of taking more of
> > > the dash apart. Has anyone pulled their dash
> pad?
> > > How many pieces had to come
> > > off first? Is the "padded" portion and the
> > > "plasticy" portion with the defrost
> > > vents two distinct pieces or one?
> > >
> > > thanks,
> > >
> > > Rick
> > >

> > =====
> > Steve Preston
> 1999 Dakota Sport 3.9V6,4x4,3.92
> Anti-spin,42RE auto,Intense Blue,regular cab.
>
> --
> -andy
>
> http://home.twcny.rr.com/andylevy/ ---
> andylevy@bigfoot.com

> modesty, n.:
> Being comfortable that others will discover your
> greatness

=====
Steve Preston 1999 Dakota Sport 3.9V6,4x4,3.92 Anti-spin,42RE auto,Intense Blue,regular cab.