Still rattling in the '99 - Rattle, Rattle, Rattle

From: rsuter@bizfon.com
Date: Wed Jan 24 2001 - 09:18:10 EST

I've still been unable to locate an annoying rattle in my '99 CC's dash. I
purchased an automotive stethescope and have localized the rattle to the upper
right area of the instrument cluster. I've removed the dash bezel, lower cover
(under the steering column) and the instruments, but the rattle continues and I
can't seem to track it down any closer to the source. It does not rattle all the
time, just on medium size, fairly sharp flaws in the road. I must really be a
sight driving with a stethescope in my ears! :-) ... And probably as bad as the
cell phone drivers!

I suspect the heating ducts or the "dash pad", but am leary of taking more of
the dash apart. Has anyone pulled their dash pad? How many pieces had to come
off first? Is the "padded" portion and the "plasticy" portion with the defrost
vents two distinct pieces or one?

thanks,

Rick