Re: Maintance Required Question

From: Ray Sulich (ray.sulich@snet.net)
Date: Fri Jan 26 2001 - 18:20:27 EST

At 02:22 PM 1/26/2001 +0000, you wrote:
>Just my personal experience here. I DO think that you can get the
>Maint.Reqd. Light at certain mileage intervals. I got this light one time
>on my 87 dak (it might have actually been a check engine light - can't
>remember what it said) at around 100,000 (only had the truck between
>78,000 and 105,000). The truck ran perfectly. All I did was unhook the
>battery cables to get rid of the light. Oh, and I took it to the vet
>about 2 weeks later and it passed with flying colors. That's why I think
>the light does work on a mileage interval.

I hope this may be the case. The truck has 135,000 miles on it and when I
took the instrument cluster out to put the speedo cable back on the speedo
I noticed that the plastic casing around the maintenance required light was
actually melted. So the light has to have been on for awhile. The truck
runs great so who knows. I tried the unhook the battery trick with no
success. I'm told that it has to be cleared by the diagnostics
computer. Sounds like a great way for the shops to make some easy cash !

Bye,
Ray

reply to ray.sulich@snet.net