Serp. Belt Ilder/Tensioner

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Sat Jan 27 2001 - 12:02:39 EST

Not sure what the official name for this part is, so let me describe what I
am talking about first, then I will ask my question. This is the serpentine
belt 'pulley' which is located right by the coil, on the passenger's side of
the engine. I would just call it an belt idler pulley or a belt tensioner
pulley. Anyways, internally within the bracket of this pulley is a spring.
Once the notch on the pulley's arm is within a notch, the arm gets tightened
down to a brace, where the coil is also bolted onto.

Question:
This idler/tensioner pulley arm, once it is bolted down, how hard should I
be able to push on it to make it move towards the center of the engine(from
the passenger's side towards the driver's side), thus releasing the tension
on the serpentine belt? Just trying anything and everything today on the
truck to see why is isnt running good. I already took the TB off and double
checked all the sensors, TB gasket, and the vacuum lines. I went by a friend
of the family's house to see what he had to say(ASE tech) last night, and he
told me the injectors were fine, "nice and noisy like all Magnum injectors
are". Or like FordMotor Sport #19 Injectors are :) He said the timing chain
actually sounded fine, water pump wasnt making any failure related noises
either and that the fan clutch was nice and tight also. Power steering pump
is fine, no leaks and the fluid level is great. What else? Hmmmm. I think I
am going to get my hands on a AutoXray XP240, and see what it says. Will
this scanner be able to tell me more ?
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6