RE: Gas mileage to crap?

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Mon Jan 29 2001 - 08:49:44 EST

I hope they don't bet on it...here's the facts:

There are 7 different modes (conditions) that are used (besides Key-ON and
Key-Off mode) and here's the list of what sensors are monitors and determine
the mode:

(1) Engine Start-Up Mode (OPEN LOOP)
Battery Voltage
Coolant Temp
Crank Position
Intake Air Temp
MAP
TPS
Starter Motor Relay
Cam Position

(2) Engine Warm-Up Mode (OPEN LOOP)
Battery Voltage
Coolant Temp
Crank Position
Intake Air Temp
MAP
TPS
Cam Position
Park/Neutral Safety Switch (Automatics Only)

(3) Idle mode (Once at Operating Temp: CLOSED LOOP)
A/C Select (if equipped)
A/C Request (if equipped)
Battery Voltage
Coolant Temp
Crank Position
Intake Air Temp
MAP
TPS
Cam Position
O2 Sensors
Park/Neutral Safety Switch (Automatics Only)

(4) Cruise Mode (CLOSED LOOP)
A/C Select (if equipped)
A/C Request (if equipped)
Battery Voltage
Coolant Temp
Crank Position
Intake Air Temp
MAP
TPS
Cam Position
O2 Sensors
Park/Neutral Safety Switch (Automatics Only)

(5) Acceleration Mode (OPEN LOOP)
A/C Select (if equipped)
A/C Request (if equipped)
Battery Voltage
Coolant Temp
Crank Position
Intake Air Temp
MAP
TPS
Cam Position
Vehicle Speed Sensor
Park/Neutral Safety Switch (Automatics Only)

(6) Deceleration Mode (OPEN LOOP)
A/C Select (if equipped)
A/C Request (if equipped)
Battery Voltage
Coolant Temp
Crank Position
Intake Air Temp
MAP
TPS
Cam Position
Park/Neutral Safety Switch (Automatics Only)
Vehicle Speed Sensor

(7) Wide Open Throttle - WOT (OPEN LOOP)
Battery Voltage
Coolant Temp
Crank Position
Intake Air Temp
MAP
TPS
Cam Position

Under conditions 1,2,4,5,6,7...the O2 Sensor is ignored by the PCM. Y

Yes, even in the FSM's..."During Open-Loop modes, the PCM receives input
signals and responds according to preset PCM programming. Input from the O2
sensors is not monitored during Open-Loop modes."