Ram-Air Hood vs. Z-Tube/QuickD

From: Curt Coulter (curt@cjnetworking.com)
Date: Mon Jan 29 2001 - 21:01:09 EST

Hi all,

I've been on the fence with this intake stuff for nearly a year now, ever
since I got my 00 QC 4.7. It's time for me to make a decision, what's been
holding me up about the intake tubes: 1) It seems like the QuickD will get
some very *warm* air where it's filter is located, 2) It seems like where
the intense Z-tube locates the filter, it will get cooler but still fairly
warm air, but also seems pretty likely to get water from the road, grime,
etc.

So, I've been trying to decide to get an intake, or a ram-air hood such as
http://www.profinish-proglass.com/theHoods.html hoods. Within reason I'd
rather have the better overall solution rather than the cheaper one. Are
there other manufacturer's I should consider for ram-air setups? Does
anyone have the 97-up hood from profinish, or the shaker hood, if so I would
be grateful if you could tell me all you can about it. Such as does water
get in, what about snow. How is the fit and finish? How much did you pay
for the hood and/or painting to match?

Thanks in advance for any help w/my decision!

/Curt