Pickup Coil/Crankshaft Position Sensor

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Tue Jan 30 2001 - 23:09:45 EST

After I did some reading, I found that a bad CPS and Hall Effect pickup wont
necessarily throw out a fault code for the computer to store. Maybe this is
why the scan tool didnt pick up any fault codes? Who knows. I surely dont.

What should I attempt to replace first........Crankshaft Position
Sensor($38.99) or the Magnetic Pickup "Coil", aka Hall Effect
Sensor($34.99). The Hall Effect or magnetic pickup sensor is under the
distributor cap and when under the rotor, correct? How is this part held
onto the distributor? How hard or easy is this to replace?

The CPS is on the driver's side rear most part on the engine, but where
abouts is it really at? Is it better or easier to remove/replace it from the
engine bay area or will I need to get under my truck to replace it? Does it
use torx type bolts? My Hayne's manual says I need to remove the EGR valve
and EGR lines, hoses, oil pressure sending unit, and many other items. Holy
cow is this all really needed to get to the CPS?? On my truck the EGR valve
is onthe passenger's side of the engine, but I thought the CPS is on the
driver's side.

Or should I just leave this two parts alone and take my truck into the
garage and see what they tell me is wrong?..........whimper now.....sighing
now........help!
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6