RE: 4.7L Temperature Questions

From: Ronald Wong (ron-wong@home.com)
Date: Wed Jan 31 2001 - 18:43:15 EST

Different engines do react differently but the engines of today, unless,
you've messed with them usually run between 195-220 depending on whether
you're in stop-n-go traffic or not. The amount of fluctuation also depends
on your cooling system, heavy duty vs not. Basically, your engine has a
t-stat and your truck comes from the factory with a 195º t-stat in it. That
means it will not allow water flow until the t-stat senses that your water
temp is 195º or hotter. On the other side of it, when the temps get high
enough your clutch fan will turn on to aid in flow of air through the
radiator. This helps to cool the coolant down. An exhaust system might
help a little but don't forget you still have the catalytic converter and
the headers that back things up. I don't think I would worry too much if
it's just getting to 220 and you're sitting there idling. You could change
the t-stat to 180º but that still wouldn't help a lot if you sat there
idling. The other thing, straight up and down in mine is 210º exactly and I
get there all the time when idling.

Ron
00 PB SLT QC 4X2 5.9 46RE 3.92 LSD