Re: Dakota Mopar Headers 5.2L 2WD Auto '97-'99

From: Grady Ogburn (jgo@uswest.net)
Date: Wed Jan 31 2001 - 22:11:56 EST

Cory-

Chances are pretty good that you'll have to have the Y pipe custom made --
there are too many twists and turns *under* the tranny bell housing and
*over* the front drive shaft. My Mesa headers (Mesa is now defunct, BTW)
were made for my truck, to the point where there was a different PN for 4x4s
with a manual tranny, and there were *still* fit problems. Mike Jones
(Mesa owner) stood behind his stuff, though, and sent a replacement Y pipe
even though the shop that "installed" the first one really screwed the
pooch. (I never DID find out what happened to Mesa -- anyone talked to Mike
lately?)

Even if your fabricator is highly skilled, a custom job made with a standard
(non-mandrel) tubing bender likely won't flow like a hot-flow bench tested
unit that was designed and built for your setup. Not to mention how much
the custom work might cost. It might not end up being a bargain at all...

Grady Ogburn
'98 Sport CC 4x4 5.2l, 5 Speed, 3.55 LSD
Mesa Headers & Cat, K&N FIPK, F&B Billet TB
Gibson/MagnaFlow 3" Exhaust
JET PCM, MSD 6A, Magnecor 8.5, Autolite 3923s
Leer Topper