Re: RE: RE: 4.7L Temperature Questions

From: WMBARRET@aol.com
Date: Thu Feb 01 2001 - 08:17:24 EST

Lantz, I would'nt be concerned with running 210 after running it hard like that on the interstate. I believe in your original post you said you had just got yanked for running 75 ish??? If you had been running that hard for any time, you'll notice the temp run a little warmer, especially if you come to a quick stop.
I've noticed this before with my truck, If I run it hard on the interstate, she'll run 5-10 degrees warmer.
The 180 t-stat will cure this, and you'll find your truck will run really cool on cold days (160-180).
Personally, I wish the block was aluminum. Aluminum, and iron hate each other, when mated together they react and corrode. Ford has had big time problems with Head gaskets on thier 3.8 V-6's which have Alum. heads and cast block. The corrosion eats away at the head gasket material. This is why you should use only distilled water, and a good antifreeze. Also, keep the system clean with regular cooling system changes.
Tap water has alot of deposits, and chemical that can enhance this corrosion. Tap water is good for Iron block & heads, but with Aluminum on Iron, use Distilled water. A cat back exhaust system will have little or no effect on the Cooling system temp for the 4.7L.
As mentioned already, the 4.7L has major exhaust clogs up front at the Cats, and manifolds. By far the best mod you can do is the air intake with a cone filter, you're correct that the engine heat will hurt performance when sitting still, but this is with all engines, 0nce you begin to move, and fresh air enters the engine compartment, you'll see Huge increases in performance, especially with the air hat removed!

Matt Y2K-HEMI
'00 RC 4.7L 5 spd
14.23 @ 94.49