Re: All batteries created equal? Think not - kinda long - no really - l...

From: ABeerCan@aol.com
Date: Fri Feb 02 2001 - 10:47:04 EST

Nah, it wasn't raining. I was just sitting here online thinking about how
many battery/charging systemquestions had come up lately and decided to help
everyone out. I learned all about batteries at a two week training school at
GNB batteries that I went to when I worked for a auto parts store. I even
got to watch in on the assembly of the battery and all the tests they go
through before they can leave the warehouse. The coolest thing about the
production plant was that while a good charge takes overnight for us to do,
theirs is done in less than 30 minutes! When the battery is first filled, it
starts charging itself. One of the last steps coming off the line is this
awesome machine that fully charges the batteries (we ate talking 140 at a
time!!) in less than 30 minutes!! I wish I could you that to power my truck
during autosound comps! Gell cells are nice batteries. I am in the process
of building some battery trays that mount on the outside of the frame in the
rear of my truck so I can mount two Optima gell cells back there and relocate
some more weight in the rear of the truck. Oh yeah, a tip for those wanting
to relocate their battery and don't know the best way to hook it into their
existing power cables - Get some large ring terminals (The kind Kyle is
talking about using). Mount your battery in the back of the truck. Run your
power wire up front (big ones so you don't have to worry about current and
voltage drop with that length of cable) and use the ring terminals to connect
the wire to the power distribution center bus. Run your hot wire from your
starter up to the lug your main cable attaches to and put a ring terminal on
the starter wire and tighten it down. Works well as I have already prepared
mine to do just that. Makes fabrication of a wiring harness un-neccesary!
And if you ever want to switch back to the original setup, it doesn't take
long! Hope this helps!

Will
96 Paxton huffed NOS intercooled 408 Dakado
89 Shelby Dakota
69 Dodge Charger