Air flow..long

From: Kevin L. Miller (kmrcdd@swbell.net)
Date: Sat Feb 03 2001 - 20:46:36 EST

Has anyone succeeded in fabbing a cold air setup for the 4.7L...to get the
cool air from the front of the truck to the intake, Quick D , etc?? I was
piddling in the garage today , changin' the air in my tires & such & got to
lookin' at this. ( I still have the factory air box in place).. I removed
the tube from the front of the airbox leaving about a 3-3/4 by 4-3/4
opening. there's a plastic panel next to the radiator with not much in the
way...so I measured & cut a 2-1/2 inch hole high in that panel..The opening
lined up perfectly with the opening in the grill. I used a piece of 2-1/2
inch vacuum cleaner hose & routed it from the panel to the opening in the
airbox. I used a 2-1/2 " to 4" adapter (Delta dust collection part) & with a
little flexing of the adapter it slid right into the hole in the airbox.
Drilled 4 holes , inserted screws,.....OUILA!! RAM AIR...NOW the
questions...After all that work, (less than an hour) drove the truck. Was
responsive, no hesitation, bog, etc....but since I dont race - or haven't, I
cant really tell if this helped or hurt...
1. Is 2-1/2 inch too small to get air to the intake.?? I know it replaced
the approx 4-1/2 in opening in the airbox but with that tube in place with
basically 2 90's I thought a 2-1/2 with almost a straight shot would be as
good or better
2. since there is no obstruction to airflow with this setup, wouldn't that
be better than getting fresh air from the inner fender (where the original
tube was routed) with only a small hole there to get fresh air in?

I have been trying to find a way to get a 4" hose setup the same way but
there is 1 main obstacle. - the tube from the radiator that goes to the
heater core (looks like). can move it a little but not enough.
3. Will increasing cold airflow help MPG as well as performance?? I would
appreciate any input or suggestions..I dont have access to a dyno or any of
that equip to test this setup. Maybe someone who does might give this a try
& test the results??
This was a very cheap mod ( les than $20 & I have enough hose left to route
it to the Quick D intake when I get it) . I'm on a budget ( wife has ball &
chain on checkbook) so I have to be creative as much as possible!
Thanks in advance

kmrcdd@swbell.net
Kevin
2000 4x4 QC 4.7L auto SLT+ 3.55 LSD Skids ,K&N, MAAP Nerfs, SS bedrails
Catch-alls, Deflectors, White/Silver 180 TS, Bosch 4418 +4 Mobil-1