: RE: RE: Re: Manual vs. Auto (WAS: I4->V8?)

From: George S Willhite (gswillhite@ualr.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 05 2001 - 15:26:47 EST

I disagree in part. You don't have to have an auto
for performance or even high performance. You
just have to have the right tranny to do the job.
Sure you can modify any tranny to work or just
buy one already made. I don't think they would
stick a 6 speed tranny in a 500hp Viper, WS6
camero or fire chicken if it couldn't handle the
horsepower (performance). Then theres the
MPG performance issue.

GS -

'98 5.2L 5spd

<<

I used to think that but the more I get involved in discussions about
automatics (valve bodies) and torque converters the more I'm inclined to
believe that the automatic carries a definite advantage, performance-wise.
<snip>