Re: Slow Daks?

From: bernd@texas.net
Date: Tue Feb 06 2001 - 13:44:35 EST

Short term and long term fuel trim are the main ones that the PCM relearns.

You can't use PC's as a comparison...they're toally different animals. There's
no BAT, SYS, Registry, INI, CFG, CONF files, or Daemons to refresh. ;) PC's
(in general) are designed to to one job...input and output. The PCM's on the
vehicles monitor various sensors and change constantly under all driving
conditions. Input changes constantly and this changes the output as well. Add
a service pack to a PC...you reboot and it's done. Add a bigger bore TB to a
vehicle and it needs to relearn the loads based on various driving conditions.

Example: If you're driving on the highway for an extended period of time (with
light throttle) the computer will "tune" the vehicle for this (for optimum
performance and economy). Drive around town and those variables change. Stomp
on the gas all the time and the variables change yet again. The computer is
constantly learning and "tuning". The PC's don't do that.

- Bernd