Driving the Viper GTS

From: DRD892@aol.com
Date: Wed Feb 07 2001 - 08:27:54 EST

I have been reading with interest the comments about
test driving the Viper GTS.
A good friend of mine bought a 1997 Viper GTS (Red) new.
It doesn't leave the garage very often. As of last weekend
it had 8,800 miles on it in almost 3 years.
Of the 8,800 miles, I have driven it about 1,000 miles.

My personal observations are:
The torque of this beast is addictive. Acceleration from 50MPH to 130MPH
in 4th gear is unbelievable. It attracts all kinds of attention and every
policemen
on duty where every you are. When cruising on a Sunday afternoon, everybody
wants to race. It definitely is fun to drive and can scare the hell out of
your
if you're not careful.

I have had the occasion to drive it all day. To the dealers, to work, home
and
several other stops. That day it was raining. Driving the GTS in the rain in
traffic will give you nightmares for a week. When accelerating, anything over
2200 RPM is suicidal. Getting in and out of this car 6 or 7 times in one
day will give you aches and pains you never had before.

All in all, it's a LOT of fun to drive for a short period in nice weather.
I love to drive it every month or so but no way would I give up my Dakota
for it.

Guess I'm just too old.

David R.
Sterling Heights