Re: RE: Replace Timing Chain Myself???? - Help

From: Christopher L. Scott (clscott1221@netzero.net)
Date: Thu Feb 08 2001 - 11:09:39 EST

The 3.9 has the design defect in the timing chain which causes every one
with over 50K to rattle at idle. Dodge has introduced the previously
mentioned retrofit tensioner kit to fix the problem, I've been told it's a
500 dollar job, I was talking to a local mechanic when I had the Dak
inspected and he is a Dodge fan and knows of no other way to cure the
rattling than installing the tensioner. However, the retrofit kit is
designed to work with the original link-type chain. I had a double-roller
put in, and then found out about the tensioner. So if I ever put the
tensioner on and stop the rattle, I'll have to put a link chain back
on. So installing a double-roller chain is a total waste. Mine stopped
the rattle for approx. 2 weeks.

At 02:38 PM 2/7/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Aaron,
>Check and see if the V6 and V8 timing chains and gears are the same. If so
>(which I believe they are), take and order one of the Mopar double-roller
>chains, or a high quality aftermarket chain and gear set. Same amount of
>work either way, but using better parts will definetly decrease the
>continued maintenance.
>Rich - Ashburn, VA

*************************************
BlueHorse Enterprises
Christopher and Sarah Scott, proprietors
6929-10 Springcreek Cove
Raleigh, NC 27613
(919) 783-4793
cell: (919) 395-9815