Re: Another 3.9 Question....

From: David D. (dodgedakotaquadcab@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Feb 08 2001 - 13:24:27 EST

Ok,if i ever had to replace my 3.9,could i & would i be able to fit a 5.2L
(318) in my Dak?

would i also have to replace the 42RE Transmission?
What if i didnt rough house my Dak like Bernd does

;)

>From: Scott Drega <sdrega@yahoo.com>
>To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net
>Subject: DML: 3.0 V6 vs 3.9V6
>Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 16:39:29 -0800 (PST)
>
>I could not resist adding my $0.02 on this thread as I
>am pretty involved with FWD mopars as well.
>
>The 3.0 V6 is well known for the fact that its valve
>guides tend to drop, causing a great deal of smoking.
>The early ones are especially problematic. I believe
>they remedied this problem around 94 or so, but not
>certain on the year they made changes.
>
>My family's own 3.0V6 91 Daytona ES lost the engine at
>around 131k. This car was driven easy and regularly
>maintained. The A604 trans also went around 110k and
>those transmissions are known to be problematic. In
>my opinion the 3.0V6/A604 ultradrive combo is probably
>the least desirable drivetrain you could get in an
>89-95 FWD mopar.
>
>As for the 3.9, my understanding is that this engine
>is basically a 5.2 (318) with two less cylinders. The
>318 has proven to be a great engine, I would think the
>same holds for the 3.9 since it is based on the 318
>design. I almost bought a new 96 Dakota Sport 3.9 5
>speed in 1996 when I decided to buy my Shelby Dakota.
>
>Scott
>89 Shelby Dakota #894 (For Sale)

>Yahoo! Auctions - Buy the things you want at great prices.
>http://auctions.yahoo.com/

David Digney
President-Wisconsin Chapter of the DML
List Moderator: "DodgeDakotaQuadCab@egroups.com"
SCWD Model Contest Chairman(South Central Wisconsin Division)
00'QC,SLT+,3.9,42RE,3.55,
K&N Home-Brew,Dynomax Super Turbo,Mobil 1 10w30

"My Dodge Dakota Quad Cab Kicks Ass...Magnum Power!"