RE: Strobe Light Info Continued

From: Tom Slick North (prodog@swbell.net)
Date: Thu Feb 08 2001 - 13:52:24 EST

I was just reading Texas' vehicle laws on flashing lights, and from what I
read... you can use strobes for hazard lights, as long as they are flashing
simultaneously...

Here it is...

§ 547.305. Restrictions on Use of Lights

     (a) A motor vehicle lamp or illuminating device, other than a headlamp,
spotlamp, auxiliary lamp, turn signal lamp, or emergency vehicle or school
bus warning lamp, that projects a beam with an intensity brighter than 300
candlepower shall be directed so that no part of the high-intensity portion
of the beam strikes the roadway at a distance of more than 75 feet from the
vehicle.

     (b) Except as expressly authorized by law, a person may not operate or
move equipment or a vehicle, other than a police vehicle, with a lamp or
device that displays a red light visible from directly in front of the
center of the equipment or vehicle.

     (c) A person may not operate a motor vehicle equipped with a red,
white, or blue beacon, flashing, or alternating light unless the equipment
is:

     (1) used as specifically authorized by this chapter; or

     (2) a running lamp, headlamp, taillamp, backup lamp, or turn signal
lamp that is used as authorized by law.

     (d) A vehicle may be equipped with alternately flashing lighting
equipment described by Section 547.701 or 547.702 only if the vehicle is:

     (1) a school bus;

     (2) an authorized emergency vehicle;

     (3) a church bus that has the words "church bus" printed on the front
and rear of the bus so as to be clearly discernable to other vehicle
operators;

     (4) a tow truck while under the direction of a law enforcement officer
at the scene of an accident or while hooking up to a disabled vehicle on a
roadway; or

     (5) a tow truck with a mounted light bar which has turn signals and
stop lamps in addition to those required by Sections 547.322, 547.323, and
547.324, Transportation Code.

     (e) A person may not operate highway maintenance or service equipment,
including snow-removal equipment, that is not equipped with lamps or that
does not display lighted lamps as required by the standards and
specifications adopted by the Texas Department of Transportation.

     (f) In this section "tow truck" means a motor vehicle or mechanical
device that is adapted or used to tow, winch, or move a disabled vehicle.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

Amended by Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 380, § 1, eff. July 1, 1999.

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statutes/tr/tr054700.html#tr020.547.302

hmmm.... I might just have to do that... going to check with a lawyer
friend of mine first...

Later,
Tom "Slick"