Re: Inconsistent performance revisited.....was R/T hesitation on the highway

From: Rob Bunn (eatschevys@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Feb 11 2001 - 04:00:37 EST

I have the (ahhem) privalege if you will of working on and test driving many
dodge trucks, rams and dakotas, let me tell you, you can hop in one and it
will be a dog and you can hop in the next and it will be a rocket ship. I
also found this to be true while shopping for my dakota. Also let me say
that i've found that the V8 automatics i've dealt with are funny as well. It
seems that the folks that never pull or haul anything are the people that
have problems with pinging and intake gaskets leaking. But the people that
work their vehicals don't seem to have problems. So how can it be that a 94
ram with a 318 with 200,000 miles that has worked everyday of its life has
had no problems and a 98 ram with a 318 and 40,000 that has been babied has
pinging problems etc. Perhaps the motors are made to be worked, i don't
know, maybe we could find a common occourance between our trucks. By the way
I bought my 94 dak with a 318 with 45,000 miles on it. It had totally been
babied, i went through and changed the intake gaskets, badly leaking also
pinged on occation. Then I added a bunch of mods then beat the crap out of
it. Its never run stronger or better since.

Rob