DML ETTIQUITE

From: Jon (jon@dakota-truck.net)
Date: Mon Feb 12 2001 - 17:14:38 EST

  Regrettably, it has become nescessary for me to add a section to
the DML Rules/Ettiquite document. It is posted to the list monthly,
or is available anytime at:

  http://www.dakota-truck.net/rules.html

  The section I have added appears at the end of this message.
I'm not going to name names or anything, all I ask is that everyone
please think about what you're posting before you hit that "send"
button. Hopefully we can increase the signal to noise ratio and
never need to mention this again. ;-) We now return to your regularly
scheduled programming...

                                              -Jon-

  .---- Jon Steiger ----- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@twistedbits.net ------.
  | Affiliations: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA; Rec & UL Pilot - SEL |
  | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 |
  `------------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'

   Flames, Bickering, And Other Such Nonsense:

    Three words: DON'T DO IT! More words: If you feel the need to get
into a fightin' match with another DMLer, please do so via private e-mail.
There are about a thousand other DMLers who could care less about your
particular squabble. Plus, posts from the DML are archived for all eternity
and viewable by hundreds of millions of web surfers. The DML as a whole
has traditionally been quite good in this regard, but as our numbers grow,
naturally, the intimate nature of the list can start to deteriorate
somewhat. I don't think it necessarily HAS to be this way though, and
I'd really prefer if non-constructive posts of this nature were not spewed
across the list. Like I mentioned before, I'm not preventing you from
continuing your squabble, just please do it via private e-mail. I don't
like having to police the list, but I'm not going to let a vocal minority
screw up the list for everyone else, so if I have to resort to warnings
and bans, I will. How do you know if a thread is getting out of control?
Just think real hard before you send something out. Is your post a rational
one, based on facts, or is it full of personal attacks? Even if it is
rational, if we've heard it a million times before and all its doing is to
further a pointless argument, why post it again? A REALLY good clue is if
you notice other DMLers replying to the posts with messages along the lines
of "please take this off list", or "stop this", its best to comply and take
it to private e-mail. Thanks! :-)