Re: Stock shock lifespan?

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Wed Feb 14 2001 - 09:28:05 EST

At 08:10 PM 2/13/01 -0500, you wrote:
>I've got 29K on my '99 4x4 and just curious as to how much longer I can
>expect my factory shocks to last. I know all about the "push on the
>fender" test but surely they start going south before that shows
>something, right? I mean, they don't just let go one day, I would think
>they gradually wear out. I can't push it down enough to get a good read
>on the bounce factor. andy

Generally, on cars anyway, life span is around 60,000 or so mi. ... don't
know if that's the case with trucks. Most of the time, their performance
deteriorates so slowing that it's kind of difficult noticing that they are
softening up.

I keep an eye for any leaking fluid on the shock. I also find a piece of
highway
that has 'gentle rolling pavement' and, if the truck begins to start going
over them
like an luxury cruiser, then I know that it's about time to replace the shocks.

Bob