Weird little POP sound...

From: Tom Slick North (prodog@swbell.net)
Date: Wed Feb 14 2001 - 22:43:50 EST

Well, I was out driving my Dak a little.... breaking it in.... I was doing
about 30mph in 3rd gear (O.D. off)... some idiot started to pull out and
would have hit me if I hadn't stomped it to get by him... now here is the
weird part... when I floored it, it down shifted(it's an auto) and I heard a
weird little Pop sound...almost like a ping, but it wasn't knocking... it
sounded almost like a slight backfire through the head... Would this happen
if the valve lash isn't adjusted properly???

Now, when I would accelerate from a dead stop, this never happened at all at
high RPM..... Only when the truck downshifts when I floor it..... and no,
it isn't the rev limiter...

Anyone have any ideas???

Later,
Tom "Slick"