ATTENTION: OWNERS OF 2000 & 2001 - V6 TEST REQUIRED

From: garth (garths_talon@telus.net)
Date: Sat Feb 17 2001 - 11:53:52 EST

ATTENTION: OWNERS OF 2000 & 2001 V6.

I have a problem with the engine stumbling at 2400 rpm and it some times

backfiring. There are no problem codes, the dealer says they can find
nothing
wrong, but the problem is still there. It happens under gradual
acceleration, and always does the same thing. It is as though the fuel
or ignition is shut off for half a second and then turned back on when
it gains more rpm. I had a similar problem when I first got my Eagle
Talon and when the spark plugs were changed they put the ones with the
wrong gap in and it caused a flat spot in the power curve. Got the truck
back from the second dealer that I have taken it too. They spent most of
the day trying to solve the hesitation problem at 2400 rpm on gradual
acceleration. NO LUCK. They even took one of the 2001 V6 5 Spd on the
lot for a drive, guess what .......... does the same dam thing. I would
like to hear from anyone that owns a V6 5 Speed to see if they can get
there truck to do the same thing. If you can take it to the dealer and
complain and get them to report it to Chrysler. The more they hear about
this problem the sooner it can be fixed.

Perform the following test:

First thing the engine needs to be cold. (Best time first thing in the
morning.)
On a flat road with few bumps, start to accelerate slowly, crossing over
the 2400 rpm area.
The speed (or engine rpm) should hesitate for a brief second and then
continue to accelerate (increase in rpm) again.
It would almost seem as if you had a miss or bad plug.

Chuck Robbins
'99 Dakota Sport
www.intense99dak.com
wrote:
I tried this test with my '99, but could not duplicate the problem. I
don't know if it's because of different years or because of my upgraded
ignition.

Thanks to all that try this test and that post a reply.

Garth
2000 QuadCab 4x4 V6 5 Spd