Re: Car Audio Recomendations

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Sat Feb 17 2001 - 21:31:15 EST

> I was thinking about replacing my trucks current factory stereo system
with
> a much nicer one. I am partial to Pioneer systems and have choosen all
> Pioneer components. The kind of music that I listen to is Country, pop,
> rock, hip hop. I would like to know what you think about my choices and
the
> prices and if you know somewhere I could get everything for cheaper,
either
> online or a store, such as Circuit City, Best Buy, Car Toys, etc. I live
in
> the Portland, Oregon area. Keep in mind that with Crutchfield you get a
free
> wiring harness and custom installation instructions. Though wiring
harnesses
> are not expensive and installation is usually not difficult. I would also
> like to know what sort of wires I will need that are not supplied or are
> better than the ones included with the items below.

Jason,
I would highly recommend the CD deck form Crutchfield, but would also highly
suggest buying the speakers from Circuit City or Best Buy. I have the
Pioneer DEH45DH CD player, which I bought from Crutchfield, and really like
it. Anything is better than the stock deck. When I bought the CD deck from
Crutchfield, I also bought Pioneer 6.5" speakers for the doors and Pioneer
5x7s for the rears. Well a mere 1 1/2 after installing everything, the CD
deck was working great, but the front door Pioneer's were blown, I mean they
were toast! Crutchfield didnt want to do anything for me, so I went to
Circuit City and bought some really nice Polk 6.5" speakers, and also bought
a warranty for 3 years which covers everything, my fault or not. I also
managed to buy these as a 'return', meaning someone bought them and returned
them and CC couldnt sell them as new, so they knocked $40 off and sold them
to me. This way, with the warranty, I wont have to worry about spending more
money on the door speakers, incase they do blow again. Recently I checked
the rear Pioneers 5x7s and you guessed it, they are shot. So once again, I
am going to have to replace them, and will buy them locally from B.B or from
C.C, and buy the additional converage warranty. If I would have gone this
route initially, I would have save alot of money of speakers. The Polks I
now have in the doors are really nice and I think they produce more clear
bass and better overall sound than the Pioneers did. This is just my advice
though. All my preset stations are really country, rock, or 'pop'. I dont
have an amp either. Good Luck.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6