Re: Water Pump Update; Still Leaking

From: Will Coughlin (willcoughlin@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Feb 19 2001 - 00:55:58 EST

Kyle, I ran into a very similar problem on a Big-block chevy on thursday. I
got a reman pump to put on it and it didn't come with the bypass hose
nipple. I had to screw the one out of the old pump and put it in the reman.
pump. It was a bitch. It had to use a prpoane torch and a pipe wrench. I'm
not really sure what to tell you on the leak. I might suggest jb weld around
the fitting, but that is a half-ass fix to put on a new water pump.I would
first call the parts store where you got the pump and ask them why the new
pump you got didn't have the pipe in it. On the one I did, I couldn't get
the other pipe plug out of the old pump, so I called and they said that if I
would buy a new pump instead of the reman, it came with all the other stuff.
So, you bought a new pump-I don't understand why it wasn't complete?? When
you buy NEW parts, you're not supposed to have these kind of problems!!!
Sorry, but I don't really know what to tell you.Sorry,

Will Coughlin willcoughlin@hotmail.com
'00 reg.cab,2wd,4.7L/hd5-spd/3.92sg(9.25")
http://www.geocities.com/willcoughlin/index.html

Well after 7 hours of working on my truck today trying to get the leaking
water pump fixed, it is still leaking. Dont ask please why it took 7 hours
either! :)
The old water pump was indeed leaking out of the wheep hole and everything,
including the fan/fan clutch came off very easily. The hard part was
transferring the stock metal heater pipe from the old one to the new one. I
finally had to take it to a friends house for him to use his torch on the
stock water pump to heat it up, I dont see how they think the stock pipe
will come out otherwise. I tried everything before finally asking him. He
heated the pump up for about 10 seconds and out came the metal heater pipe.
This metal pipe has a groove in it where an o-ring goes, which came with the
new water pump. I put the o ring on and tapped it down into the water pump,
noting a line I marked to so I knew how far into the pump it had to go. I
put everything back on, checked the coolant level and fired the truck up,
only to have a nice leak from this metal heater pipe; coolant is coming from
where the pipe goes into the pump. It did seem like th o-ring which came
with the new pump was puny, so I am going to run by the dealer tomorrow and
see if I can buy this o-ring and hopfully it will be thicker. Any clues how
how else to seal this heater pipe to the pump?????????? Other than the
o-ring, is there any thing else that needs to be put on to additionally help
seal this frigin pipe?? Looks like I am getting a ride to work tomorrow.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6