Re: Nascar Regulations - my rant

From: Hemipower@aol.com
Date: Mon Feb 19 2001 - 11:15:31 EST

In a message dated 02/19/2001 11:07:27 AM EST, ABeerCan@aol.com writes:

> I personally blame Nascar for the tragedy we have all recieved on Sunday,
> February 18, 2001. I have also become a follower of Rousch's idea of the
> restricor plates on the cars. Rousch has said that they need to throw
away
> the plates and mandate smaller engines. What is the point of building a
> power house motor that has the potential of 1,000 hp and then put
> restrictors
> on it so it makes 400 hp less? If they go to a smaller motor, then the
> power
> levels will drop also. The need for restrictor plates will be gone. I
also

> wish stock car racing was just that again. Remeber back when they took
one
> from the show room, balanced and blueprinted the engine (no other mods
> allowed) and welded in a roll cage? We need that again. That would wake
up

> the engineers at DC and force them to bring back even more performance to
> the
> show room floor.

I agree with you. I feel it has become a notch above
"spec"car racing.

 I also believe they need to have just general guidelines
> for the car body. None of this "Let's put a spoiler here to slow them
down
> and make a better viewing race." Screw that! A race should be a battle
> between not only drivers, but a battle between drivers, pit crews, engine
> builders and body designers. This would mean that every single person on
> the
> crew would count equally.

I don't think it was fair That DE was blocking for his team mate.
I think every driver should be on his own. It should be driver
against driver, not team against team.
Maybe I'm wrong but that's how I feel.

 Think about it, now once the engine builder is
> done, that is it till the next race, unless the motor blows and he has to
> swap in a new one during the race. By throwing the current rules out and
> going back to less restrictive rules, we can make Nascar a balance sport.
> The crews would have to balance out power with handling, braking with
> aerodynamics and the driver would still be a very important part of the
car.

> If the driver can't handle the car, what good is it? So what if one team
> found a body design that would let them use less gas while still keeping
up
> at the same speed! That is the idea, to cause more competition.
Earnhardt
> will definately be missed. I wish that this hadn't happened. But now
that
> it has, maybe the Nascar officials will wake up and realize that it is no
> longer a sport, it is who can keep the car on the track. With all the
cars
> being equal now, the driver has to be able not only to handle their car,
but

> be able to dodge the other drivers who are less capable. Earnhardt is a
> very
> good example of this. I don't wan to start any flames, but if they occur,
> oh
> well. This was my $0.02 and I personally don't care if you don't like it.

> just want everyone to be safe whatever Nascar does.

Ditto.