Re: Pie Hole / Opinions / MP Trans Pan

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Feb 20 2001 - 07:18:19 EST

frank golembieski wrote:

> take you own advice

I wasn't giving any. I was just responding to someone who thinks they can tell
everyone else what to say. Last I heard - opinions are free.

> Your comment wan't that nice either was it ?

Thats not the point. My point was that I have the right to express my opinion
here just like everyone else. When that right goes away (by someone telling
others what they can and cannot say) - this list will go away.

I think Jon already asked us to stop the E thread. Thats why I changed the
subject line. This really is the same thing as the Jules/Patrick/QuickD threads
as well as the 5.9L vs. 4.7L threads. They are all about opinions. What makes
them unique from all the rest is that there's not much middle ground - you have
two different opinions and some believe STRONGLY one way or another.

I'm thinking of what caused me to even reply to such a juvenile message in the
first place - it is because I STRONGLY disagreed with something so I felt
compelled to respond - just like you. We are equally quilty of expressing our
opinions - and thats ok.

Now for some DAK content:

Someone mentioned the new MP deep aluminum tranny pan - I was the one that
brought up the "might not fit" thread on the IndyRam list and either me or
miggity brought it here. Story is that a good friend of mine just got his
tranny rebuilt (another 518-46RE bites the dust at less than 70K) and he said
his mechanic ran into problems with the new pan. His mechanic told him that the
pan didn't fit - supposedly it rubbed against the wires going to the gov.
pressure solenoid and pulled off the connector during install leaving him with a
tranny that wouldn't shift. He said his mechanics opinion (3rd hand so bear
with me) was that the pan was meant for the MP tranny that has been mentioned
here (still no part #s???). Supposedly the mechanic had to find some longer
screws and do some fabricating to attach the filter correctly also.

My personal opinion on the MP tranny pan thing is that his mechanic wasn't as
careful as one of us might be and/or he just forgot to connect the gov. pressure
sensor wires. A 727 pan is just that - it either fits or it doesn't. It looks
to me like it mates up the the 727 pan rail properly (after all it is running on
my friends truck and not leaking) - so the only thing left is the sides and
depth. The sides go straight down so that can't be an issue - that only leaves
the depth. I've tried a +2 qt deep 727 pan on my 518 and it wasn't deep enough
to clear the larger valve body of the 518. All this leads me to believe that
the pan will indeed fit without modifications.

We just need some more experience in that particular area. Opinion without
first hand experience isn't worth much is it?

Latr,

Shane

--
'96 IndyRam-HisIndy-MPI/TB/Pulleys/AccelCoil/MPComp/HookerSuperComps/CompTAs
'96 IndyRam-HerIndy-numbered(#142)"Track Truck"