Re: << VIRUS NOTICE >>

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Feb 20 2001 - 07:58:48 EST

SEMIHEMI01@aol.com wrote:

> A new virus has just been discovered that has been classified
> by Microsoft and by McAfee as the most destructive ever! This virus was
> <snip> is opened, the computer freezes so that the user has to reboot. When the
>
> ctrl+alt+del keys or the reset button are pressed, the virus destroys Sector

Sounds like a real virus there (does damage) not simply a worm (replicates). As
a programmer - I can tell you that you can trap a "ctrl+alt+del" so that part
might be correct but as far as the reset button....its a hardware CPU/motherboard
interrupt/reset and CANNOT be trapped. There is NO WAY that a virus can continue
to execute after pressing the reset button (assuming you have a real "reset"
button).

Dak content - it is theoretically possible for a specifically targeted virus to
infect a machine and sit idle waiting for a scan tool attachment to a PCM. Upon
attaching to the PCM it could infect the PCM and do damage there as well (like
erase EEPROM calibration data). As Microsoft is taking over the (software) world
- this is becoming closer to reality that you can imagine. Do a search on their
site for the word "embedded" and you'll see what I mean. Chew on that one...

Latr,

Shane

--
'96 IndyRam-HisIndy-MPI/TB/Pulleys/AccelCoil/MPComp/HookerSuperComps/CompTAs
'96 IndyRam-HerIndy-numbered(#142)"Track Truck"