I'm back from Daytona..

From: WMBARRET@aol.com
Date: Tue Feb 20 2001 - 13:13:19 EST

Well, I just got back from Daytona yesterday evening. Had an awesome week there, But its been overshadowed by the DE tragedy. I was sitting in the Oldfield Tower row 40, near the very top (exit of turn 4), I could see everything, and had a good view of the DE wreck. I was also listening to the race scanner and I heard Earnhardts spotter telling him "car high and car low" he was not clear of Sterling. After reviewing the replay, its clear Earnhardt came down on Sterling and caused the wreck. But it does'nt matter, it was racing, it was the risk you take, above all, it was very tragic. Through my binoculars I could see the roof being cut off the 3 car, and soon after I saw CPR being given, I knew it was bad, I knew he would not make it, to much time had gone by before he was transported out. 99% of the fans did not realize this. They could'nt see what was happening from that far away, but I knew what was happening, I knew NASCAR would be changed forever.
NASCAR racing will always have its risks, there is no "perfect" safety device, and there will never be. The odds of being killed in NASCAR are not good, you have a much higher risk driving on the street. But, the risk is still there, and DE has been racing cars for 25+ years, did the odds finally catch up with him??? maybe??? It was just his time to go. I am not a DE fan, I have done my share of booing, but I had great respect for the man, I realized he WAS the greatest driver ever, better than Petty. He has done so much for NASCAR, he has sold millions of tickets, and kept the sport going. He leaves behind a big void in NASCAR, he will be sorely missed, he will never be forgotten.

Dodge on the other hand did well I thought. Sterlin Marlin had the fastest car on the track, period. All week. I watched him everyday last week, and he could'nt be beat.
Casey Atwood, and Ward Burton also had very good cars, but bad luck got in their way. Bill Elliott drove an Elliott race, very conservative, his car was very tight and adjusted it all day long, at the end he had a very strong car, and despite half the field being gone in the TS wreck, I believe Elliott would have still finished in the top 10. The Dodges are back!
You all would not believe how much Dodge stuff (advertising, displays ect) were at Daytona, it was unbeleivable how much Dodge put into this event.

Matt Y2K-HEMI