A518 MOPAR PERFORMANCE QUESTION....second try....

From: Chris Lambert (mopar88@efortress.com)
Date: Wed Feb 21 2001 - 21:40:37 EST

Ok lets see what I can tell ya... first off good luck... that is good
luck getting one... I blew my A500 for the second time in my old 88
premagger and then decided to upgrade... I wanted this tranny... could not
get it... national backorder for the previous 10 months... dealer finally
got me one like it without the shift kit and no lockup convertor. This was
fine with me as i wanted a normal convertor. I had to find a connector for
the OD wiring as the truck had a 3 wire connector and the new tranny only
had a 2 wire... then to boot when my tranny went it shorted out the OD
function of the computer, but not the lockup portion. I wired in a switch
that would hold the unit in OD, kinda like the gear vendors unit... I
bought the summit 2200 rpm stall convertor and it worked great. I loved
that tranny with the OD button. I could hold it to the boards on the
highway and it would not shift till i wanted it to... ok now for the
problems... the 518 is physically bigger and heavier... the guy that put it
in figured it was 50 pounds heavier... also the shield for between the
engine and the torque convertor was now too small. I had about a half inch
gap at the bottom. The shift mechanism had to be moved and reconfigured,
also he had to modify the bejesus out of the old kick-down rod to get it to
fit, and it barely fit. it cost me $1500 for the tranny, $350 for the
installation (he cut me a deal cause of what happened to my rebuild 25k
earlier), and like $170 for the convertor. ... definitely worth it, i would
do it again if i had to....

Chris

>Ron,
>
>It would be if I was installing it in an R/T truck but I would like to put
>it in my 91 Dakota.... Currently the truck has a A500 and it's old so
>instead of fooling with it I want to purchase the Mopar performace unit.
>Here's the poop on it from the catalog.... built of th A-727 is designed for
>heavy duty applications fit's small block engines comes with wiring and
>schematic.... My main concern was how much of a drop in is it?... What's
>the wiring for etc... Here's the PN in case you might need it someday
>P5249166..... Anyway if some one can help me out that would be great.....
>
>Tim

'00 CC, Packin a 287 Magnum, 5-sp, Gibson Duals, Quick D Intake
http://www.intense99dak.com/chris.htm
In Action: http://www.dakota2.4mg.com/scca.htm