belly pan gasket

From: Doug Myers (dougmyers@starpower.net)
Date: Sun Feb 25 2001 - 02:40:39 EST

Hey guys,

    I've got a film of oil on the bottom of my intake (not a puddle, just a
light film), and I'm only pulling 17" of vacuum at idle. The engine also
uses roughly 1qt of oil every 2,000-3,000 miles. It also makes a nice
whistling sound when I first start it up in cold weather. This goes away
when the truck warms up. Could this be a belly pan gasket leak?

    I tried the "test", and if I plug both the breather hose and the PCV
hole, then I get pressure. If I leave the breather hose open and just plug
the pcv hole, then I feel suction.

Doug Myers
'99 Dakota 318/5-speed