Air-Fuel Ratio Monitors

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Wed Feb 28 2001 - 01:14:47 EST

I was searching the DML archives and online websites today, and I think I
want to buy and install some kind of air/fuel ratio monitor. I think my
truck may be running rich, and this should help me clarify things. Plus, it
will help out anytime in the future and I can always keep an eye on the
air/fuel levels once I have it dash mounted. How is the wiring and hookup of
these monitors? Could I just buy the gauge/monitor and wire it up myself,
rather than buying a $150+ kit? I see in Summit's catalog(page 149) they
show Auto Meter air/fuel monitors for $49.95-$53.95; on page 154 they also
have Nordskog air/fuel monitors for $29.95. In Jeg's, page 96 there is a
Cyberdyne unit for $32.99. Which monitor is good and will be easy to wire up
and read?? Since Dakotas already have an O2 sensor, wouldnt I just be able
to tap into one of the O2 Sensor's wires, run a power/ground wire and be
done? Yes/No? If so, how do I exactly wire one up? Also, by tapping into an
wire from the O2 sensor for this monitor will there be any possible
false/inaccurate PCM readings and cause my truck to run poorly? I know my
fellow DMLers have these monitors wired up, so any and all info would be
greatly appreciated.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6