Re: Air-Fuel Ratio Monitors

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Wed Feb 28 2001 - 09:21:36 EST

At 12:14 AM 2/28/01 -0600, you wrote:
>I was searching the DML archives and online websites today, and I think I
>want to buy and install some kind of air/fuel ratio monitor. I think my
>truck may be running rich, and this should help me clarify things. Plus, it
>will help out anytime in the future and I can always keep an eye on the
>air/fuel levels once I have it dash mounted. How is the wiring and hookup of
>these monitors? Could I just buy the gauge/monitor and wire it up myself,
>rather than buying a $150+ kit? I see in Summit's catalog(page 149) they
>show Auto Meter air/fuel monitors for $49.95-$53.95; on page 154 they also
>have Nordskog air/fuel monitors for $29.95. In Jeg's, page 96 there is a
>Cyberdyne unit for $32.99. Which monitor is good and will be easy to wire up
>and read?? Since Dakotas already have an O2 sensor, wouldnt I just be able
>to tap into one of the O2 Sensor's wires, run a power/ground wire and be
>done? Yes/No? If so, how do I exactly wire one up? Also, by tapping into an
>wire from the O2 sensor for this monitor will there be any possible
>false/inaccurate PCM readings and cause my truck to run poorly? I know my
>fellow DMLers have these monitors wired up, so any and all info would be
>greatly appreciated. Kyle

My son installed the AutoMeter one in the Dak. Use the FSM to locate the
wire from the forward O2 sensor and tap into it. The power/ground/backlight
wires hookup instructions for the gauge itself are included. I have had
no driveability problems due to this addon. Let me know if you need
more details and I'll get them to you.

Bob Tom Burlington, Ont., Canada
'97 Dakota Sport, 4x2, CC, Flame red, 5.2L, auto., 3.92SG