Re: Air-Fuel Ratio Monitors

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Mar 01 2001 - 00:33:44 EST

Kyle Kozubal wrote:

> > My son installed the AutoMeter one in the Dak. Use the FSM to locate the
> > wire from the forward O2 sensor and tap into it.

My FSM was wrong. It took awhile to figure this out as I wanted to believe it.

> I would appreciate any and all info you could send my way concerning how he
> hooked it up. It is good to know that the wire installation/hookup wires and
> instructions came with the monitor(with your son's atleast).

Don't worry if they don't. Its basically a signal, signal gnd, power, power gnd
(and maybe a bulb power). Pretty straightforward.

> I have gathered
> a list of like 15 different gauges/motitors. I assume all do basically the
> same things, it will just come down to how much I want to spend and how
> fancy/plain I want the monitor to look. I think I still end up going one
> made from a better known company, like Auto Meter.

I've seen them as low as $15. I went with the AutoMeter one myself. Solid as a
rock as expected from AutoMeter.

> I figured the
> installation of one of these couldnt be that hard, but I will take whatever
> info you can send my way so I dont screw things up.

Best thing you can do is have a voltmeter with a high input impedance. This is
actually important as the wrong impedence can actually send too much current
through the sensor and fry it (read costly). Also don't touch the tip of the
sensor (if you happen to have it out to replace it - not necessary for just a
guage tap) as that will ruin it too due to the oil in your skin. Range is 0-1V
fluctuating wildly when running and temp > 600 degrees F.

Everyone should have one of these mounted somewhere visible. I recommend this
before a TB 8-))

Latr,

Shane

--
'96 IndyRam-HisIndy-MPI/TB/Pulleys/AccelCoil/MPComp/HookerSuperComps/CompTAs
'96 IndyRam-HerIndy-numbered(#142)"Track Truck"