Re: Tonneau Cover Question

From: George Radcliffe (incredageorge@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Mar 01 2001 - 18:48:51 EST

I was looking to do the same thing about 2 months ago, and I ended up buying
the one that my local rhino linings rep recommended. I don't remember the
brand. It's a hinged snap-on soft tonneau with 3 ribs, all metal parts are
painted black (looks good), with 2 gas spring lifts, a 5 year warranty on
the vinyl, and a lifetime warranty on the hardware. I have no complaints so
far. You can probably find a dozen or so covers that match that
description, and I would not be too picky over which brand to buy. Look for
quality manufacturing, any special features you want, and shop around (i.e.
don't get ripped off). Retention at speed? Not a problem. It DOES "flap in
the breeze," so to speak. Actually, it can get annoying if I have the rear
window open on the highway. One thing I did to prevent any rattling noise
is have my rhino lining done over the rail. It gives the tonneau something
to sit on, doesn't scratch, and actually blends in rather well. I looked
at the snapless covers, too, and who knows- I might be just as satisfied if
I had bought one. Incidentally, I think my next cover might have to be a
Pace Edwards roll top. It was a bit too expensive this time around.

George

Blackety Black 01, CC, SP+, 4.7L, 3.55 LSD, K&N, Leather, and 3000 miles.