Re: 87 Dakota jerking when put into reverse???

From: ABeerCan@aol.com
Date: Sun Mar 04 2001 - 14:13:38 EST

yllwdkta@insight.rr.com writes:

<< I have been talking to a guy that has a 87 Dakota at school. It has a v-6
/
 auto tranny with about 117,000 miles on it. He has taken it to a shop b/c
 when he put it in reverse it jerks the truck when the tranny engages. The
 shop told him that it is common with dodge trucks. If so do you know why
 this does it. I remember about 2.5 years ago I had the same thing with my
 89 S10 but not as jerky. What can he do to fix this.

 I will go ahead and forward the email(s) to him

 Tim Althoff >>

Tim,
    My 88 Dakota used to do this. I took it to a trans shop that a friend of
the family owned, so I trusted what he said. The truck would jerk very hard
when going into either reverse or drive. I had ~110,000 miles on the truck
then it did this. The valvebodies in the gen-I dakotas still used the
valve/spring combos to control shifting. One of the valves had scratched the
bore it was in and wouldn't regulate pressure properly. Also, the springs in
the valve body has gotten weak from use over time. Hope this helps.

Will

"You better hope there is intelligent life out there somewhere,
 Cause I think we got cheated down here on Earth!"