Re: rattling cat?

From: Signman615@cs.com
Date: Sun Mar 04 2001 - 17:28:42 EST

I just had my cats replaced on my 2000 4.7 Dak. I have a California emissions
legal truck that has 2 pre-cats in the y-pipe along with the reg. cat. One of
the pre-cats went bad with only 13,000mi. on it. I was afraid the dealer
would blame the supercharger, but he didn't. My dealer had to sub the work
out because they couldn't to it but they paid for everything. The factory
cats on these newer trucks flow so well that getting a "hi-flow" cat is a
waste of money. The dealer will only pay for it if you use their replacement
part and that is definitely the way I would go. Getting an aftermarket cat
"might" get you 3-5HP, and at $200 plus labor for something you won't be able
to feel is not worth it. Kenne Bell took the cat off a Dodge truck completely
and netted only 5HP gain on their dyno and that was after 4000RPMs.